Friday 28 July 2017

A week in Budapest

Sometime in May I decided I needed a holiday. The destination chosen: Budapest. Why Budapest? Well, I had two classmates who had done a semester in my university back in Lisbon and I thought it would be great to visit them and see this city that I had heard so much about. So I booked a week's stay in Budapest for July.

Budapest was fantastic. For the first few nights I stayed at Big Fish hostel, a comfy hostel with fun staff and travelers. I met Luca, one of my classmates who showed me around the city and took me for drinks while we let our legs dangle over the Danube. I did a communism tour, a very interesting free tour that helped to learn a lot about Budapest's and Hungary's history and put things into perspective. I rarely go out partying, but one night at Big Fish I decided to let go my inhibitions and I threw myself into Budapest's night life. We went to ruin bars and clubs and it was a great night out with great people. Zsofi, my other classmate took me to sample some of her favourite street food and was an excellent guide as we walked through this city and then finished with a  drink at Szimpla, a famous, artsy and hipster ruin bar/building. Oh and yes, the famous thermal baths of Budapest, we didn't miss, and could have spent more than the four hours that we did if we didn't have to return to the hostel for wifi.

The highlight of the trip however was the camping and canoeing on lake Tisza at Poroszlo, two hours from Budapest. I joined Luca and her friends and we cooked in the open under the stars and slept in our tents. Canoeing on the lake was a fun experience and I wondered how we didn't lose ourselves on this massive lake.

I was sad to leave Budapest when I did, but I had had a wonderful and well deserved holiday. Budapest is a must visit city and hey it's cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment