Thursday 25 September 2014

Halla Madrid

Three days in this wonderful city was all I spent but  it was mission accomplished. Touring the Santiago Bernabeu and watching a captivating Flamenco concert rounded off what was a splendid three days in Madrid.

Jose and Carole were great hosts to me. Everytime I went back to their apartment I felt I was entering my home. Indeed, what leaves a lasting mark on you is not the monuments that you visit but rather the people you meet and the warmth that they bring  you when you are in foreign land. Once you have that warmth, the monuments that you visit have more meaning, epitomizing the culture and civilization of the country or city that you are visiting.

Worth a mention is the beer in Madrid. It just tasted so different and so good that 1 glass was never enough. Jose also took me to try "sidra" at a traditional Asturias taverna, which I absolutely enjoyed. The pouring of the sidra into the glass involves a special technique that is hard to master but I did okay for a first time.

I gorged on the delicious "jamon" , drank beer, and wandered the streets of Madrid while trying every now and then to practice my Spanish.

The visit to the Santiago Bernabeu, the stadium of the Real Madrid football team, was a special experience. Yes, I'm not a supporter of Real Madrid, but as a football fan, there is nothing about the Santiago Bernabeu not to love. I couldn't believe I was actually there. Too bad I couldn't watch a game there. However, I didn't miss the opportunity to touch the turf, photographing myself while at it, a special feeling. LOL!

The last few hours that I spent in Madrid was at the Las Carboneras where we were captivated by the fantastic flamenco artists on display. Indeed, the sound of those heels tapping into the wood still resonate in my head while I write this.

I'm now at the airport boarding the flight to Barcelona. Once again, it will be my first time in Barcelona. Come on Barcelona!! Show me what you got!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment