Monday 22 September 2014

Train to Madrid

I made it just in time to catch the train to Madrid from Oriente station. My delay and rush was my fault. I was too caught up listening to street musicians at Bairro Alto that I completely lost track of time.

The train was stuffy and the seats didn't recline. It was to be a twelve hour train ride from Lisboa to Madrid. I made several trips to the cafetaria, not to eat but rather because it was cooler in there. Finally I did fall asleep, but it was a broken sleep and not very relaxing. I was rather amused to hear the lady beside me say "que frio" (it's so cold) while I was finding it so stuffy.

Jose, my cousin, got in touch with me just as we were rolling into Madrid Chamartin station. A few calls later, a short train ride to Nuevos Ministerios and a few frantic texts before my phone battery died, Carole, Jose's girlfriend picked me up and gave me directions to where I was going to stay.

Madrid looks looks splendid. The temperature is a few degrees lesser than Lisboa. The Spanish on the streets sounds so exotic and I'm excited to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment